Saturday, December 18, 2010

Spectacular Seoul (Part 1)

Mom and I ventured out to explore Seoul on Saturday. Our first attraction was Gyeongbokgung Palace. Constructed in 1394, the palace is one of five in Seoul. As my husband could tell you, I've been nearly desperate to include this palace in my "Seoul to do" list. We made it and it was even better than I imagined.


Check out one of the first views of the palace as you walk in the gates!


Guards in traditional dress


The detail work on a giant drum



I don't know why I loved these carved figures. I took about a dozen photos of them. They were always in pairs guarding the side rails on stairs.


Throne room



You can't see them too well but these are dragons on the ceiling- remember, 1394... It's not like those colors came from a Home Depot.



The roof tops have these parades of critters. I was also a little neurotic about taking their photo.





The details were just spectacular!

We loved visiting the palace. After the long, slow walk through the palace, we headed to a street market.

1 comment: